Before using the forum, please read the site rules! They're super important, so don't forget to read them!
Fancy a gaming weekend with friends? Then why not join the discussion and nominate a game for everyone to play! It'll be a ton of fun!
For all the latest Nintendo news from around the globe, check out WiiWareWave!
Welcome one and all to Nintygaming Forums! The only website with 100% pure Nintendo love and discussion!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gaming - PC and Console unite! » General » General Discussion » Fitness - Give your advice!

Fitness - Give your advice!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fitness - Give your advice! on 11/5/2012, 00:04

Demonic

Level 5
Give us your tips!

Currently I'm on a push-up regime where I'm trying to do a hundred push-ups per day. But you need to work to it...

So for 3 days every week I'm doing 5 sets with 90 second breaks between sets. You can Google "one hundred push ups" to find the site I'm using for it.

You have to do an initial test to see how many push-ups you can do. I'm currently on Week 4 (40 push-ups ftw) and even though it's just a 14, break, 16, break... it's really hard work!

Probably not for those who aren't new to fitness, but good for beginners!

I hate how lazy I am, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

If you must argue, remember that it is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
http://forever-gaming.forumotions.net

2 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 11/5/2012, 00:33

RoryLee

Level 5
I dont have much of a routine since I started full-time. But I usually do push-ups everday, along with some pull-ups, and ab workouts.

One day I'll do 4 sets of 25 with a 90 second break.

On a different day I'll do Triangle push-ups till I cant no more, and immediately I do regular push-ups till I tire, and then I do push-ups on my knees until I cant do them no more. I do this without taking any break.

Other then that I've been doing somewhat of circuit training where I do one exercise, and then I go on to the next exercise without taking a break.

I have no routine at this moment. I just do whatever comes to mind and I make sure to work different body parts. I will use strength bands and just my body weight since I know I will be out of town alot. I need to find the right exercises that I can use when I'm stuck at a motel.

"Pro-Wrestling is real....People are fake!"
Mr. Anderson

"A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at."
Bruce Lee

"My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then we met."
Rodney Dangerfield

3 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 11/5/2012, 00:56

Demonic

Level 5
I find it really hard to motivate myself to do any sort of fitness work... far too lazy. But I've found something that works for me.

I'm mainly doing push-ups and sit-ups as I find those generally the easiest as my muscle really isn't all that toned shall we say.

But I find just doing 20 or 30 push-ups per day helps a lot... definitely gets my heart going for a while.

I might buy some dumbells to workout with. I also use my bike to workout the thigh region and its working a treat!

If you must argue, remember that it is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

4 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 11/5/2012, 01:04

RoryLee

Level 5
Its really hard to get motivated, especially after a long work day. I usually like to drink a coffee an hour before I get started. That always gets me a little wired and pushes me to get motivated. Always try and do your workout routine around the same time of day, that way you get it in your head that this is something that I should be doing.

Push-ups are always good. Try adding squats and single leg squats to your routine. Just use your body weight because that still gives you one hell of a workout. Even if you dont have any weights, I would try investing in some strength resistance bands. Those things will really tone you up and you can do almost any exercise with those things. And the plus side is that you can take them anywhere with you.

Mr. Anderson

"A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at."
Bruce Lee

Rodney Dangerfield

5 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 11/5/2012, 01:16

Demonic

Level 5
I usually do mine before I go to bed, I feel more relaxed and energetic at that point. I can easily do 30 push-ups on some days but can struggle to get to 20 on others... its very up and down.

I prefer doing a daily workout as it gives me something to do per day and it always feels rewarding going to bed with aching limbs and a racing heart lol. I'm thinking of other things I can do, I might try doing some of the things you mentioned.

Do you use music by any chance? I would but it really puts me off and instead I start listening to the song than paying attention to what I'm doing. :/

6 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 11/5/2012, 01:24

RoryLee

Level 5
Of course I listen to music. I always listen to the songs that remind me of the good times. When you hear something that brings out a great memory of the past, or just something good that happend when that song played, that is always a great motivator for me.

Mr. Anderson

Bruce Lee

Rodney Dangerfield

7 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 11/5/2012, 03:31

danschemen

Level 2
This is the stuff I do every day.
100 jumping jacks
10 crutches
10 push ups
10 second rest
30 second plank
10 second rest
30 second wall sit
10 second rest
75 jumping jacks
10 push ups
10 squats
10 crunches
25 jumping jacks
There are also other things I add in depending on what day of the week it is.

My friend codes:
MW3: 0166-7632-6994
Mario Kart Wii: 4039-4192-6544
Monster Hunter Tri: PPJHCF
If you add me send me a message with your FC
https://www.youtube.com/user/danschemen

8 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 11/5/2012, 03:36

danschemen

Level 2
looked at the hundred push up thing and it looks really interesting I'm going to try it out.

My friend codes:
MW3: 0166-7632-6994
Mario Kart Wii: 4039-4192-6544
Monster Hunter Tri: PPJHCF
If you add me send me a message with your FC
https://www.youtube.com/user/danschemen

9 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 6/11/2012, 22:55

Demonic

Level 5
I've been getting back on top of my push up regime, finally... trying to find time to pump muscles is really hard, maybe I should get off the games. :P

But I have to say, my arm muscles are getting far more toned now, but they don't actually seem to be progressing any further, I don't see much improvement at the moment which is a bit strange. Got any tips for having a tougher workout that'll get me some better results?

By the way, I've asked a friend how much it will cost to go to a gym and he said it's around £35 a month with classes, swimming and sauna and jazz which doesn't sound too bad.

10 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 6/11/2012, 23:11

[G4L] P.K.

Level 3
@Chris, do you warm up at all before starting? A couple of chest and arm stretches beforehand might be effective. Otherwise, jogging is the #1 thing you can do to improve your overall health.

Gyms are overrated. Keep up your regimen and maybe throw in some cardio. What are your goals?

11 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 6/11/2012, 23:17

Demonic

Level 5
I do some very quick push ups in quick succession, maybe around 10 at least and then have a break for a minute, gets me going. But once I get going and reach around 25 push ups I start slowing down and it becomes far harder to keep the momentum going and eventually I just have to stop, I push myself as far as I can go before that happens but it probably ends at about the 30th push up.

I know gyms are overrated, but my friend who goes there every week seems to be getting a really good workout and he seems pretty toned.

12 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 7/11/2012, 00:58

[G4L] P.K.

Level 3
Don't completely forget about your current routine, but for one workout a week, try something different. Do only one set but try to do as many as you can do. No second set (unless you rest longer). Then back to your regular workout next time.

13 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 7/11/2012, 13:18

Demonic

Level 5
Hmm, I'll give that shot, I've ordered some strength resistant cords that I hope should help a little. Apparently they're quite strong so that should come in handy, I'd rather actually feel like I'm gaining muscle and feel the burn in your muscles... always a good feeling because you know you're getting a good workout then.

14 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 8/11/2012, 18:20

Demonic

Level 5
My strength resistant cords have arrived and I did some Bicep Curls, Lateral Raises and Standing Rows with them and wow, it really works. I could definitely feel the pain in my arms after each session so that must be a good sign. I'll incorporate that into my daily routine along with the push-ups.

Another thing that I also need to get down is food, what kind of food should I eat and food I should keep away from? I know things like chicken, nuts and fruit/vegetables are recommended, but is there an amount before it's too much? And food that I should definitely keep away from since I want the best results I can get.

15 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 8/11/2012, 20:52

RoryLee

Level 5
Resistant bands are great! And don't forget about doing situps on a daily basis. And also make sure to work on your legs, just some basic squats, lunges, and calf raises will do.

I was never big on the diet thing. I usually just ate alot of meat, had protein shakes, and creatine. But just make sure to drink lots of water and try not to eat too much.

Mr. Anderson

Bruce Lee

Rodney Dangerfield

16 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 8/11/2012, 20:59

Demonic

Level 5
I have at least a glass of water near me so I can have a drink after each rep while I'm resting. The problem with the food is I eat quite a lot, probably because I'm still in my teens and still in the growing phase so I'm guessing just not to over indulge in it?

I've been ding sit-ups recently but they don't seem to be doing much for me at the moment, I think I'll have to lose some of the ab fat, I don't have very much so I don't think that'll be much of a problem so probably just keeping an eye on my diet.

I go cycling so that usually helps with the leg workout, but I'll give the squats and lunges a go. I've never heard of calf raises though, time to give Google a workout.

17 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 9/11/2012, 03:37

[G4L] P.K.

Level 3
The new pushing movements (and pulling) you get with those bands are definitley going to give you results. Those resistance bands are great for the mid to high rep sets (10-15 reps). Don't forget to get some rowing/pulling in to even out your shoulders, otherwise they can get pulled too far forward (this wouldn't happen for months, even years down the line, but still good to start out right).

Eating right is good, but shouldn't be an obsession. If it's someone's B-day, go ahead and have a slice of cake for God's sake. Anyways, if you're working out for close to an hour each day, you're burning a ton of calories which means you need to replentish. You need carbs. Stuff like pasta, rice cassaroles, oatmeal. If you're toning, eating food like soup, subs (healthy), oatmeal, eggs (a little), tuna, some beef is ok. If your goal is to get bigger, things like baked beans, yams, vegtable beef stu, pasta, potatoes, eggs (a lot), pultry, anything you can put down a lot of over time. Lots of milk and water should do anyone good on just about any workout plan. Try to avoid consuming large amounts of milk, dairy, and other filling drinks/food just prior to your workout, you can have all you want when your workout's done.

Work hard but don't forget to get your rest in, your muscles need to recuperate, otherwise you'll do your muscles more harm than good. There's a difference between working through a little bit of lactic acid and overtraining/overtaxing your muscles. The "muscle shock" you get when just starting out with your new bands should get you quite sore. That's normal, and will pass in a couple of weeks. You can work through that...it could suck.

18 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 9/11/2012, 21:37

Demonic

Level 5
I don't seem to be getting any "muscle shock" from the bands yet and I've been doing the exercises properly as it said in the leaflet and on the video (yeah, it even has shite music... and a dude doing it x_x). Maybe my muscles are already quite adjusted to them? They're apparently quite heavy, strong bands as well...

I'm going to mainly stick to veggies and meat I think, but I need to eat quite a fair bit of food before I'm actually full and even then it takes me a while to burn through calories, I easily did around 50 Lateral Raise reps and it only left my arms a little tired but I could go on and do some sit-ups... after a break of course. :P

I'm going to try the leg workouts you guys mentioned and do some more of the stretch band exercises, hopefully should go quite well for me. Thanks for all the advice!

19 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 9/11/2012, 21:57

RoryLee

Level 5
That's alot of reps! How do you stand on your bands, is it with 1 foot or 2? Try using a wider stance so you get more resistance on your workout. Try to shoot for 20 to 25 max.

Mr. Anderson

Bruce Lee

Rodney Dangerfield

20 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 9/11/2012, 22:28

Demonic

Level 5
Just 1 foot, I think 2 seems a bit too easy. Do you mean moving my other leg further away?

21 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 10/11/2012, 04:30

[G4L] P.K.

Level 3
Sounds like you're doing good then. Hopefully the dude on the tape isn't too annoying for you. Richard Simmons style... :P

22 Re: Fitness - Give your advice! on 13/11/2012, 23:00

Demonic

Level 5
I haven't been doing any exercises recently since I pulled my neck muscle on Saturday so I'm going to wait for that to heal before I try anything else... obviously I went too vigorous too quickly. :P

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum